The Story is
about Kunal. Kunal works at a Japanese Research Institute. He is a senior
Physicist researching at the core of quantum entanglement and its application.
He is in that country for a long time now, almost 15 years. His research work
has taken him all around the globe and he has been awarded many accolades for
his work. He is gaining quite a name for himself in the niche field. One day he learns that his Mausi is struggling with a disease and might not survive and she expects to see him before her demise. It has been more than 10 years since he last visited
that town, he fears that he might not return if he goes to India.
Kunal was
born at a semi-urban village city 100 km away from Meerut. He was schooled at a
nearby school of bricks and mortar and just like every boy of his age in that
small town, he had no idea of a world outside of that place. He only saw it on
TV and that there is a sprawling city Delhi just 300 km away from his town. Even as
a child he dreamed to live there. His Mausi, who was a
widow, was married off in a second marriage to another widower and she has
started living in the outskirts of Delhi.
He was in 7th
class when he first heard of the idea that he and his elder sister who was of
16 years at the time might be sent at their Mausi’s. He thought his dreams have come true but the idea soon was thwarted as there was not much excitement shown
by their Mausi’s family.
Mausi who
had remarried a widower, had no children of her own. Neither did her second
husband had any children from his first wife. They were trying for their own
child. They had even tried some city-magic medical treatment for this,
something called IVF but no luck so far. Two years later, his Mausi finally invited him and his sister to live with them. His
sister was now 18. This invitation came unexpected and his parents and other
folks were not excited this time as their daughter was coming of age and city
life could be corrupting.
But at this
juncture his local school teacher came to Kunal’s rescue. He was also a local
guardian of sorts as he was an old fellow who retired from teaching in
public schools and had opened his own private school in the small town. He had
struggled hard in uplifting the educational standard of the town and people
regarded him with
great awe and respect. He advised his parents to not rob Kunal of his future.
He and his sister, if they are getting a chance, should avail it. They should
trust their family values and morals and send these kids on their own journey.
It was after
this encouragement from the village elder, Kunal and his sister were sent at his
Mausi’s house. She lived in a Janta-flat in Rohini, a sub-city in the north-western part of Delhi. For Kunal and his sister, it was a new world altogether as they could see how easy it is for them to get lost in this concrete
jungle.
Kunal was admitted in 9th in a new school. His sister had completed her 12th in Dhalia, the native town. A year later she got admission to a nursing course.
Kunal started attending his new school and became friends with Samay and Vishal. Both were his classmates and he divided his school hours with them as both belonged to two different groups. 9th standard was difficult and nothing made much sense to Kunal. He was struggling and it was evident in his marks. So his Mausi started looking for different tuition centres. He was sent to different tuition centres around the year but no one came close to his rescue as every test was reflective of his lack of understanding.
9th standard came to conclusion and Kunal barely managed to pass all his papers. This was a worrying development and everyone from here at Mausi's place to the village were berating him for his lack of understanding.
In 10th standard, he was sent to Batra Sir's tuition classes. His marks improved and Kunal developed a newfound interest in mathematics. In 10th he also participated in the school debate competition and his personality started to take on a new course.
Boards came and went and Kunal had scored decent marks in all his subjects. This led to the broadening of his understanding of himself. He had started to stretch his limits. Amid all this, Batra sir had started inviting him on Sat and Sun for 'Growth Classes'. This was an unusual thing for Kunal. In these classes, he was taught spirituality and self-development. He started developing an interest in literature and experimentation with different music. He also became more curious and started questioning authority. This led to a confrontation at school with a teacher.
Later, Batra sir guided him to curb the monstrosity inside him and channelise the energy in constructive ways. 11th concluded and his marks had significantly improved. Within a year he had shown much progress.
12th continued with the same fervour. He had started to cultivate a dream to indulge in further science and make a career in it. In the same year, he developed a liking towards a fellow classmate, Suparna.
They started dating and Kunal started missing out on many important things as on weekends Suparna and he started meeting. In the guise of Growth Class, he went on dates with her. This continued for a few months and November arrived. In the first term exam, there was a slight dip in the marks, lower than his expectations, but in the second term exams, the marks dipped further and this was a wake-up call for him.
So he broke off with Suparna, got back in the habit of studying again and took Batra sir's teaching method as a guiding star.
He scored very well in 12th but this was not enough for DU's cut off list. He was again at crossroads.
After 12th board exams, he was not sure how to proceed since he was not securing seats in top colleges that he aspired for and he knew his parents could not be subjected to further pain with an extra burden of donation.
He received some guidance from Batra sir. He advised him to take some time for himself and make a more sound judgement, free of all the other influences. He was introduced to different religious practices by his parents and mausi. He was asked to wear rings of different gemstones. He had to offer oil to a banyan tree on Saturdays and was also asked to fast every Tuesday. This was all too much for an 18-year-old boy but he still confided in the old religious belief of his parents, not out of faith in all these practices, but out of respect for his guardians.
He finally took a bold decision and decided to drop a year and delve deeper into his skillset and hone his academic acumen. Batra sir offered him a job at his tuition centre. He was asked to prepare question papers for different class groups and analyse each student tests. He was offered a monthly salary and also was allowed to self-study for different competitive exams at the Batra sir's tuition space.
For an entire year, he pondered over his interests, his aspirations and his worth. He was making a small earning and tasting financial liberty for the first time. Interactions with Batra sir on different topics ranging from politics, socio-economic conditions, geopolitics to spirituality, Vedas were subconsciously shaping his character. Years later he will reminiscent this year as the most value-creating phase of his younger self.
During that year, his vision cleared and he finally decided to pursue higher science and become a research scholar. He applied for undergraduate programs for various state universities and was selected for Bsc in Physics at Punjab University.
Was it a
cultural shift? It was a question I had no realization of at that time. How my
life was going to turn around I had no knowledge at that time. How could I?
Life is funny, it brings along a great change in subtlest of fashion. My
sister, Rhea, and I, were witnessing a once in a lifetime upheavel which we
could not have anticipated. Life in Dhalia could very well have been predicted.
If I had grown there, I would have become one of 7-8 characters which are
easily found in these small places. But a young boy, I was thrown into a chaos
and now my fate was uncertain. Here in the city, I could be anything. There are
no limited characters to choose from. City life is unpredictable and no one can
say what a young person can and can’not become.
When brought
to this city, few things were already on card. I found admission in 9th
standard at a private school. This was different from government school at
which I had studied hitherto. Initially school was not ready to give me admission
to 9th standard as my academic background was not upto their
expectation. Later I learned that the school gave me admission because somehow
my father, a small-farmer, had given a heavy donation for me to be admitted in
9th standard.
First day of
school is as fresh in my memory as if it happened yesterday. I sat alongside a
polite, well-spoken city boy, Samay. He was chirpy and had a smiling face.
Friendship was easy with him. But the trouble was I sat at the front desk. This
was overwhelming for a boy like me. I have never been timid in my life, but
somehow that day I felt I was under some kind of microscope. First class was
Science and I instantly felt in awe of Mrs Meena mam. Her face was old and kind
and she had a way with words that easily calmed me down. She asked me to stand
up and introduce me and I learned that she is our class-teacher. We learned
something in chemistry that all sounded alien to me.
School
continued. I befriended two groups of friends and both had a huge difference
between their lifestyle. Samay’s group was a bunch of mild-spoken, not so
studious but fairly docile. They are a bunch that all teacher feel more
comfortable around as they never ask questions and they never partake in any
kind of trouble. The other was that of Vishal. Vishal belonged to Baghpat. His
language was raudy and this group was keen in causing all kinds of troubles.
I learned a
good deal from Vishal and his group. We hang around during games period and
during lunch I was with Samay’s group. I juggled between Vishal and Samay’s
group throughout 9th class. I was a leaf left in a wind, I was
swaying all sides, with no concious effort from my side, no agenda from my
side.
Once, my
Mausa ji took me to Chandni Chowk, to his office. Well he was a manager at a Sweet
shop chain joint at Chandni chowk. The pay was not good and job not secure. He
had been here for 6 years, just after his first marriage. At office, I sat at
the cashier table, why was I brought here? Well because my mausi had insisted
him to take me to see the city. I have been fairly good with numbers since
childhood. But I was extremely poor with theoretical maths. Well I was an
average student at my old government school, but here in the city I had fallen
even that level and now I was struggling with all subjects.
Mausa ji
asked the gatekeeper to take me out on a tour of Chandni chowk in evening. It
was a chaos, a complete chaos. Everyone was going everyway. I had problem
keeping track of Ramsingh who was my tourguide, well he better never make a
transition of jobs and become a tourguide, because he sucked at it big.
Ultimately it happened what I was fearing. I lost him in some random gali he
took me in.
I didn’t
know which gali I was in. I kept surfing from one gali to another, with my
heart throbbing hard. I had heard stories about young people being sold in big
cities, all those stories started to race in my mind. For the first time I panicked
in life. Nothing made sense. It then struck to me that I had a vague idea of
the name of Mausa ji’s shop. It was something called Wah-ji-wah Sweets. I
findally made my way back to shop after an excursion of 3 hours. Back at shop I
was berated like a dog.
In Diwali I
and sis came back to my town Dhalia. I never realized how much I could miss my
mother before I saw her. It was joy unknown but I had learned to not show my
weakness to others. I guess, we learn things like that in course of growing up.
But my mother had not learned that skill and she showered my and sis with lots
of love and sweets. Her sweets tasted much better than that of my Mausa ji’s
shop.
Both
papa0mummy made me realize that they are expecting me to shine in life and for
the first time I realized that I am carrying responsibilities in form of their
dreams.
On returning
for the second-term exam which was in December. First term exam had a dismal
performance from me. I had barely managed to pass all the subjects, but
second-term was passed in all the excitement and fun with both the groups. I
had no qualms till then to score decent marks in exam, I was there oblivious of
the expectations that rested on my shoulders. Life so far was lived in
struggling with other issues. For the first time I was in close vicinity of
females of my age which in itself was both exciting and punishing for myself.
It was the beginning of self-awareness for a boy of 15 years. Everyday I was
waking up to new revelations about myself. My skin was duskier compared to
other boys, it also had blemishes and shades which added a more sulking texture
to my face. My height was fairly decent and my built was sturdy, but I was lean
and looked malnourished in front of Samay and Vishal.
Second-term
came and went, and I had no knowledge as to how I should study for it. Though I
was not absent-minded, but classes made little sense to me. Especially
Mathematics and Science. They were spoken in some language that could very well
be foreign to me.
As I reached
9th final exams, finally it kicked into me what all was expected of
me and how far I have ventured into. Life was going to be tough and I had no
way of measuring what all was happening to me. I was consumed by anxiety and
fear. I didn’t know how to study for exams and what I feared, happened. I
somehow passed in other subjects, but got compartments in Maths and Science.
This was a
jolt to me, but it wreaked havoc on my Mausi and parents. My Mausa simply
rebuffed that he had expected that from me. What good can come from mindless tv
and new sneaky entertainments that I had been engaging into late nights?
It was a complete disaster and I was terrified to my bones. In compartment exams, I
managed somehow, with help from Samay and a neighbour, to pass.
10th
commenced and it was the beginning of new trials and tribulations. I had still not
understood how to deal with anything, and now what previously made a little
sense, now was more alien than before.
It was
around April, just the beginning of summer vacation that my Mausi was told
about an old man living on the topmost floor of the corner most building in the
street across us. She told my parents, who instantly sent more money to be
spent on my education.
The first
day in the tuition was uncomfortable as the whole set-up was completely unexpected. I entered a wooden door and came into a room that was a weirdly
disordered set-up. I was greeted with
ogling eyes by boys and girls of all age groups. They followed me walk across
the room, and for the first time, I laid eyes on Batra Sir and Batra Aunt. Sir
was a stern-looking man, whose eyes were sunken deep into the socket and temple
protruded in front. But he wore a stern smile for me and when I didn’t smile
back, he simply revealed his teeth, which apparently were crooked, gave a funny
aspect to his otherwise stern face. I bowed as our Indian customs require us to. Batra aunty welcomed me in a kind voice. She asked me to come and sit at her
table. I bowed back to this fat lady who was draped in a white sari with green
borders, loosely wrapping her overwhelming built.
I started
going three days a week to the tuition class. Summer vacation continued and it was
for the first time in my life I was living in a strange city with new people
and with time in my hand. Tuition hours started at 4pm. Now I had already
attended one other tuition the month before which was April. It had a general
setup. It was synonymous with school classes, students of one particular
standard came in bulk, sat on the stiff plastic chairs which had a small table,
and to manage even one A4 size notebook on it was a talent. The classes were a
little over an hour and the sir did few questions on board to explain the
concept and then did few others which applied the concept in some new way, at
the end, we were given homework which added long excruciating
hours in the schedule which had an already jampacked school homework and all this sucked the marrow of the bone, viz, my summer vacation. The long
homeworks were justified by constant reminders of the coming board exams of 10th
which were to be held the next year.
Since I was
struggling with even half of the homework, I talked to Mausi ji that the
tuition was too much and that I can manage my studies on my own and if I
could drop the tuition. It was allowed and Mausi observed me for a week and reported to the village
that I sat with a book for most of the hours but managed to do little of the
required, as was checked by Mausa ji later at night. Life had become monochromatic
for me. The burden of my responsibilities towards my parents and the kindness
being thrust over me by Mausa ji is being constantly reminded to me for major
portion of the day. If I am ever seen anywhere around the television, my mausi
ji doesn’t miss the opportunity to rebuke me for being tempted by the idea of
entertainment. I don't know where Mausa ji has learned the word ‘hedonist’(years later
I would learn its meaning) and throws it carelessly to address me.
Life has become so overbearing lately. I don't find a single moment of peace, earlier I awaited daily calls from Ma, but lately, I've started to fear it. She always talks over an hour with Mausi, god curse this cellphone technology, most of the time I can hear both of them crying over my fate and my lack of seriousness.
Mausi has heard about some old man who lives in an apartment across our street. He has a different setup for maths tuition. A new gimmick, wow, as if my life is not already tough.
So that’s
how I was sent to the Batra sir.
The ambience
at Batra sir’s was completely unexpected. As previously told, everyone sat
anywhere, there was no order, no regiments in which you had to fall. So on the
first day, I sat on the table across Batra aunty’s. She was teaching English to
a 5th grader, as I sat down and looked around, she looked at me
without raising her head, just raising her eyeballs, which looked large through
the glasses, “Beta, are you comfortable?” “Yes mam,” I answered without
understanding what she meant.
“Go on beta,
take out your maths book and start studying.”
Now this was
a surprise. Study! Well, I knew not how to respond to that, so I took out my
book and register and bent over it. I opened the second chapter and started to do
the same questions that I had already done before. Half an hour passed before
Batra sir, who sat across the bigger table, which was in the middle of the
room, which had 7 children of different ages sitting around. Sir was mostly
surrounded by one or more kids and he was muttering to them, they were solving
questions together. Then after he was done with one bunch, and they departed to
sit on their respective seats, another bunch would surround him.
Finally when
he got a moment, he invited me to stand beside him. So I stood up and started
moving. I reached him and then stood like a pole beside him as he was peering
into a maths book which seemed to be of a higher standard to me. He raised his
head and met my eyes. “Dear boy, where is your book and notebook?” “On my table
sir,” I replied. “Don’t you think you should bring them to me, go on, bring
your subject to me, how else do you expect me to teach you?”
I hurried to
my table, haphazardly grabbed book and notebook and rushed back to him. All
this while he was gazing at me. I reached him and he broke into a smile. He had
a snaggletooth and his otherwise serious face all of a sudden looked funny.
And then he
guided me personally through the second chapter. He wrote with different
coloured pens. Kept me involved in every step and at times even gave me time to
come up with my own interpretation behind each step. I had a completely new way
of seeing maths, it all looked easy, as if the answer and the logic was always
there in front of me, I just was looking at the wrong things.
There was no
coming back timing at Batra sir’s. You were allowed to study for as long as you
wanted. I started enjoying Maths. There was no homework. That added a new
flavour to my everyday life because I used to do more than enough questions at
tuition itself, so when I used to get back, I immediately reported that I had
done this much study at the tuition so that when I finally sat across
television, though I was chased by hopeless eyes, I was atleast not chased by
stinging remarks.
Sometimes I
could get out of tuition early and though Batra aunty made sure that anyone who
belonged to the same grade didn’t mingle with eachother outside the tuitions, I
found Ram to be waiting for me downstairs sometimes. We started hanging out
together and he introduced me to new friends in the park which they frequented
often. They invited me to play football with them. Now I had played cricket at
village but I had never played football. But I found it was easy, all I had to
do was push people around when ball was with me and shoot it across the field
into the goal-post.
School reopened
and my summer vacations came to end. I had already completed five chapters in
Mathematics. I even started to make sense of other subjects and 10th
boards finally came. I had done good on my pre-boards but that had brought a
new-found courage in me to dream of impossible. I had started to dream of 95%
for my 10th boards. I laboured for it.
Boards came
and went.
No comments:
Post a Comment